- 1.5 – 2 kg / 3 – 4 lb beef brisket
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1 Tblsp Olive or coconut oil
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 3/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- One large onion cut into rings.
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup (Or use whatever chutneys are left in the fridge)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (adjust to desired spice level)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Place Rub in a bowl and mix to combine.
Rub all over brisket with your hands. If time permits, leave for 30 minutes – 24 hours in the fridge.
- Place brisket in your oven dish or slow cooker
- Place onion rings on and around the brisket.
Combine Tasty Sauce ingredients.
Mix, then gently pour over the brisket not disturbing the rub.
Slow cook in slow cooker on high for 6 hours or on lo for 8 hours
Oven cook for 4 hours in a covered or foil covered dish/tray on 170 degrees celsius. Just stir in an extra cup of water.
Adjust these times according to the size of your brisket. You can test with a fork when it is tender and pullable. Check that the sauce doesn't reduce past a nice bbq sauce consistency if it gets to evaporated during the cooking process just add a bit more water and stir around.
Remove brisket onto a tray.
Slice or pull, then return brisket to the sauce and serve
- If sauce is too runny then leave lid off and return to oven or slow cooker to reduce down.
Brisket holds its shape once slow cooked until tender, so it can be sliced, but is also nice to serve pulled on buns with coleslaw. Even when cooked for longer time it will hold itself together, but you will need to keep an eye on the sauce that it doesn't dry out.Pressure Cooker
Use the same recipe but 1 hr 15 minutes - 1 hr 30 minutes depending on the size.
When the brisket is tender remove from the baking tray or slow cooker. Oil the BBQ grill, preheat the BBQ to medium high. Place beef on the grill and brown on both sides. Baste the beef generously with the Tasty Sauce turning and basting both sides. Continue to do this until there is a nice caramelised glaze on the brisket. You can then serve with the remaining sauce on the side.